The New Year celebrations in The Hague were marked by unrest, though the situation remained under control.

While most residents welcomed the New Year peacefully and in good spirits, the city saw a significant rise in incidents compared to last year. Emergency and support services were deployed extensively throughout the night, helping to prevent more serious escalation. Police, fire crews, and medical teams had an exceptionally busy night and were repeatedly called into action. According to Mayor Jan van Zanen, it is deeply troubling that emergency workers were not always able to carry out their vital and sometimes life-saving work without obstruction.

Firefighters responded to 322 calls during the night, compared with 241 the previous year. In one case, a fire in garden sheds on the Tonystraat threatened to spread to nearby homes but was brought under control through a major firefighting effort. Car fires were reported in several neighbourhoods, including the Stavangerstraat and Ferdinand Bolstraat. Ambulance services were dispatched 199 times, the same number as last year. Police recorded 296 incidents, nearly three times the number logged during the previous New Year celebrations. Sixteen arrests were made.

These figures are provisional and may be adjusted in the coming weeks as the municipality, the Veiligheidsregio Haaglanden, the police, and the Public Prosecution Service complete their assessments. The total extent of damage across the city is also still being reviewed.

Vreugdevuren and public celebrations

Despite the increase in incidents, the majority of the city experienced the New Year in a positive and communal atmosphere. Due to expected stronger winds, the traditional beach bonfires in Scheveningen and Duindorp were lit earlier than usual, around 9.30 pm, while the bonfire in Laak was lit at midnight. These long-standing Hague traditions attracted large crowds and passed in a relaxed and friendly atmosphere.

The same applied to the countdown moment at the Hofvijver and the laser and light show that followed, which brought many people together to welcome the New Year in the city centre.

At several locations, including Heeswijkplein, Paul Krugerplein, Wenkebachstraat, and Ambachtsgaarde, riot police were briefly deployed. In most cases, this followed incidents in which emergency services were obstructed or targeted with heavy fireworks. Similar situations occurred in other parts of the city, making it difficult for police and fire crews to do their work safely.

Thanks to those who stepped up

Mayor Jan van Zanen: “My deepest gratitude goes out to all the police officers, law enforcement officers, firefighters, ambulance crews, and also to the hundreds of volunteers, the neighborhood watch teams, and the community moms and dads. They have once again gone above and beyond this New Year’s Eve to keep our city safe. Their efforts have proven invaluable.”

At the same time, he stressed that the sharp rise in incidents is unacceptable, as is the continued obstruction and targeting of emergency workers. Violence against those providing help, he said, cannot be tolerated.

New Year’s Dive cancelled

The organisers of the traditional New Year’s Dive in Scheveningen decided on Thursday morning to cancel the event due to strong winds, as they did last year. While disappointing for everyone involved, the mayor said he fully understood the decision, noting that the safety of participants and organisers must always come first.

He added that he hopes the city will be able to start the year with this tradition again on 1 January 2027 and that he looks forward to finally being able to take part himself.

Text: Gemeente Den Haag

Translation & photo: The Hague Online